1. Ranking Strategy
2. Google Dance
3. Position meaning
StrategyTo achieve success in search engine promotion due to behavioral factors, there are many tactics and strategies. Some of them were relevant several years ago, some became relevant recently. We will try to talk about one of the optimal strategies relevant at the time of this writing. This information is based on our own research, as well as on the latest data from leading SEO experts, who confirm that user-generated behavioral signals are one of the main factors in search ranking.
So, in our strategy, first of all, we will start from the page, and not from the keywords (this is a common mistake).
We will decide on the list of pages that we plan to promote. These can be pages of goods, services, news, articles, contacts, etc.
Try not to use the main page of the site (exception - landing page / one-page-site).
Important! If your site has so far poor visibility in Google search (very few keywords, pages in the index, or position in the search below 50), you should go directly to step 5.
1. Open the Google Search Console and go to the Search results section. Choose a period of 1-2 months. We’ll see a list of keywords.
2. Check the checkboxes for Total Clicks, Total impressions, Average Position and go to the page tab and sort them in descending order Impressions. For convenience, you can select Rows per page up to 500 per page and upload them to an .xlsx file.
3. Next, click on the page that interests us. It is very important that the Position value for this page is no more than 50 (if the average position of this page in the search is more than 50, then go to step 5). So, we will see statistics on this page. We need a list of keywords for which this page was visible in the search.
4. Sort the list in descending order Impressions and select only those keywords that have Position <50 and high Impressions.So, we know the page that we will promote, as well as a list of its relevant keywords (according to Google;))).
In that case, if your site still has poor visibility in Google search (very few keywords, pages in the index, or a position in the search below 50), you should go directly to step 5.
5. Now we must improve the loyalty indicators for your page. This will allow you to raise the position of your page immediately for all its keywords, which we saw in step 3. It will also allow new keywords to appear.
Go to Userion in the Smart Traffic -> Direct visits section. Few people know, but direct visits are a very important ranking factor for Google (more on that below). Set the number of pages and the duration of direct visits for our site - these settings will be used for all tasks of direct traffic of the selected site. You can experiment with these settings depending on the niche of your site (there will be different patterns for the news site and for the online store). One compromise pattern is the minimum 2, maximum 5, on page 3 min. This means that in each run 2-5 pages will be visited, and the duration of the visit on each! page 3 minutes (i.e. a total duration of 6-15 minutes). Also a great 3-5-2 pattern. In very rare niches, 9-11-1 will do.
Attention! Do not set the patterns 1-1-1, or 1-2-1 - this will lead to the opposite effect - Google will receive a signal that the site is not interesting to users, and the position will be downgraded.
In general, the more pages will be viewed and the longer the duration of each visit will be, the better.
With the same budget, it’s better to install fewer runs, but better ones than more low-quality runs.
6. After saving the settings, you will have the opportunity to add a new task - insert the URL (along with http (s): //) of your target page in the field and click "Plus". Well, if you did everything right, in the right list you will have the first task of direct visits. Set the number of daily runs from 7 to 15. Of course you can set more runs. It is desirable to keep this number of runs for the first two weeks, then you can reduce it to 2-3 per day.
So, we launched the promotion of loyalty signals to our page for Google.
You’ll probably ask, how do direct visits to my site affect Google ranking? How does Google even know that someone is visiting my site?
Indeed, Google and other vendors and systems generally do not read user data directly from their analytics systems. But this is not necessary. Indeed, today at 99% of sites in html code there are links to this or that content belonging to Google: it can be Google fonts, jаvascript files, CSS and so on. When a user visits your site, along with the page code, he begins to access the Google resources that are mentioned in your site. In this way, Google reads its own cookies in the user's browser and realizes that the user is now navigating through the pages of a website. And along with this, he receives a lot of additional information about your behavioral "opinion" about this page.
Direct visits are largely a signal that this page is in the browser’s unclosed tabs, on the bookmarks bar, etc. - that is, the page is of great value to users! So the information on it is important and Google need to rank it higher!
7. Now we need to configure the improvement of behavioral signals on the search results of Google. Go to the Search Ranking -> Google section. Set the page number and duration settings similar to those you did in step 5. Click save.
8. You now have the opportunity to create tasks for promotion on Google. Take the list of your keywords selected in step 4 and paste in the field, each keyword on a new line and click Add. If you did everything correctly, you will have added tasks on the right. Set the number of daily runs 1-2-3 depending on the volume of searches for your keywords (if you are promoting "apple iphone" then you probably should set 3-4 per day). We will install 1-2 for ourselves. Important! Do not set a lot of runs per day here, as this will not be natural for Google. It’s better to spend these funds on direct traffic, it will be more useful.
9. It will be very important for us to set up the method of choosing the pages of your site in the search results, for this we have TYPE buttons. They allow you to configure the page selection for ranking:
Any first page - This type means that the ranking algorithm will promote the first URL of your site found on the search results page. This is suitable for those cases when you do not know exactly which page you have for this keyword and it is not so important for you).
Specific page URL - This type means that the ranking algorithm will try to find and promote specific URL and don't touch any other URLs of your site on search results page. This is suitable just in the case when we know exactly which page in the search results we would like to rank for this keyword.
Important! We recommend that you always use the "Specific page URL" option, since in our experience when using Any first page, your other pages may mix in the search results, which entails mutually exclusive signals for Google and as a result, the pages begin to lose position, strange results appear in the results pages (for example, when asking about the company, the page about jeans comes first), and in the statistics of the promotion of this keyword there will be bouncing positions, such as 37 -> 12 -> 45 -> 21.
We know for sure which page we need to promote (the one to which direct visits were directed) - set it in the Specific URL field (http(s)://) and click Save. Do this with all your keywords for this page.
Congratulations, we’ve successfully set up page promotion on Google. It may seem that the setup takes a lot of time, but believe me, in the future you will do it in a minute.
Do this for the rest of your other pages and watch the ranking!
Google DanceAll our users tasks are protected from the action of the Google Dance - the algorithm of Google for detecting ranking due to behavioral factors.
This algorithm is used by Google once or twice a month for all sites in order to lower the positions of sites that use ranking. If you see an icon near the site’s position, it means that at the moment we detected the action of Google Dance, and at this moment the site does not rank. The cost of the run in which Google Dance is detected is equal to the cost of one minute of ranking.
Typically position dynamics when Google Dance is detected look like this:
Position meaningIn addition, I want to talk about the meaning of the positions that you will see in the results of promotion:
- 1 Site/Page has been found on 1st position.
Make sure it happens regularly for several days and you can reduce the number of runs
- 7* Site/Page has been found on 7st position only with extra word(domain name).
Your site’s/page’s relevance is weak. This keyword will take longer to become visible without the extra word. If you are sure that your site/page is precisely relevant to this keyword then continue the promotion, after a while the page will inevitably go up.
- 0* Site/Page was't found with extra word(domain name)
Check out the domain/page URL. It is not allowed to use links without http(s). If the URL is correct, then the keyword is likely to be too competitive; try expanding it with additional words and ranking it in a new task. This will help the page/site become visible by the current keyword. If it's not help then your site/page seems to be absolutely not relevance to this keyword. Do on-page SEO - such as tags, description, title etc.